Take Safety Home: Lawn Mowers
Every year hundreds of thousands of injuries occur due to lawn mower accidents. A surprising percentage of these injuries occur to children. As you begin getting into your spring and summer lawn-care routine, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Send children and pets indoors before mowing the lawn.
- Pick up any objects, such as toys, bottles, sticks, rocks, etc. before mowing.
- Wear sturdy shoes, long pants, and a long-sleeved shirt while mowing to protect your skin from objects that get kicked up by the mower. Don’t wear loose clothing or jewelry.
- Wear eye protection and hearing protection while mowing.
- Do not allow anyone to ride on mowers!
- Fill gas tanks before operating. Never refill a hot engine. Store gasoline in appropriate, labeled containers and away from heat sources.
- Do not mow when the grass is wet.
- Push mowers across a slope. Operate a riding mower up and down slopes.
- Before performing maintenance on a mower, be sure to remove the spark plug.
This information is provided as a service to you by Compliance Consultants, Inc.