Take Safety Home: Swimming Safely
Tragic water accidents happen quickly. The most common reason for aquatic mishaps is a lack of safety knowledge. Follow these tips to prevent injury:
- Never dive into shallow water or water where the bottom is not visible.
- Never use alcohol or drugs while swimming or boating.
- Never leave children unattended near a water source, even for a few seconds.
- Gates around pools should be self-closing and self-latching. Latches should be out of the reach of small children.
- For above-ground pools, steps and ladders should be secured when in use and removed when the pool is not in use.
- Never swim alone, no matter how good of a swimmer you are.
- Do not attempt to jump in and save a drowning victim unless properly trained and certified in lifesaving practices such as CPR. Call 911 for help.
- Get out of the water and move away from any water source if a thunderstorm is imminent.
- Wear foot protection to prevent cuts and abrasions.
This information is provided as a service to you by Compliance Consultants, Inc.