Take Safety Home: Fireworks Safety

The Fourth of July & Fireworks go hand in hand, but before your family celebrates, make sure everyone knows about fireworks safety. Lighting fireworks at home is not legal in many areas, so check with your local police department first! The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted in your area, by a trained professional.

Did you know that even sparklers can leave a third degree burn? ALWAYS use sparklers outside. Never go near any leftover fireworks; there is a chance that they may still be active and hot. If injured by fireworks, immediately go to the hospital. If an eye injury occurs, touching the eye or rubbing it may cause more damage. Don’t flush the eye out with water or attempt to put any ointment on it. Instead, cut out the bottom of a paper cup, place it around the eye, and immediately seek medical attention — your eyesight may depend on it. If it’s a burn, remove clothing from the burned area and run cool, not cold, water over the burn (do not use ice). Call your doctor immediately.

Lastly, don’t forget that animals become frightened and scared on the Fourth of July because of the lights and noise from the fireworks. It is best to keep your pets indoors, away from all the activities. Let’s enjoy this holiday and keep our families and animals safe!

 

This information is provided as a service to you by Compliance Consultants, Inc.

Related posts